This is a blog about our experiences as relatively new wildlife carers. It's not a reference guide on how to look after animals, there's too much left unwritten in our posts for that and we don't always get it right.
Remember, wild animals belong in the wild, they don't belong to us!
Google
 

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Houdini

I mentioned the other day that we had a new addition to the family, a rainbow lorikeet.

If he comes back we're going to name him Harry, after Mr Houdini. The little bugger escaped yesterday. No evidence that Xena or Dizzy got him, so I'm pretty sure he slipped out of his cage and did a bolt. I should have suspected when I saw him putting his head between the bars and doing chinups at the top of the cage.

Looking back, I'm not sure what tune he was whistling at the time, it was either the theme from Mission Impossible, or The Great Escape. Either way I'm sad to see him go, he (or she) was the best looking lori we've ever looked after and he taught us (and our friend Lesleigh) a lot in his short time with us.

I'll be getting the fencing wire out and filling in some gaps in the cage this weekend.

Maybe we should have listened to Messers Cleese and Palin and nailed him to the perch.

I miss him, he was the best looking bird, and most friendly, we've ever had in care, not that I don't enjoy looking after the ugly ducklings. After all, I was one :)

1 comment:

Dave said...

Nice looking birds. We have some that escaped captivity flying wild in Hamilton now. Saw some from a meeting window a short while ago. They are not native here. - Dave